Some of Our Boys have gone to new homes. Please be sure to check out
Our Dogs Elsewhere.
We also recommend looking at
Performance Stars to find more about dogs bred
and/or owned by Herdabout Shelties.
Stud Dog Availability
Cost for stud service:
studs fees vary and are assessed on each individual basis (Private Treaty). So
please check each stud's page for that information (included in the Health Stats
chart of each stud).
Stud dogs with all health clearances done, but not yet finished their
Canadian Conformation Championship, are available for a lower stud fee than
males with Canadian Conformation Championship titles.
Stud dogs with a minimum of a Canadian Conformation Championship, and all
their health clearances done with passing scores, are available for a lower
stud fee than males who also have performance titles.
Our males who have earned their Canadian Conformation Championship,
completed all their health clearances, and who have also earned two or more
performance titles with the Canadian Kennel Club are available for
a different arrangement-- which may include a "puppy back" arrangement.
most cases, the breeding fee is due the day the bitch arrives, with the balance
of the stud fee due when there are at least two live puppies surviving to
two weeks of age.
Requirements for visiting bitches:
- We require a negative brucellosis on incoming bitches.
- All bitches being bred at Herdabout must have been tested for:
- VwD, VetGen DNA scoring either Clear or Carrier (only being bred to a VwD Clear male)
- Hips done by either PennHip, or OFA hips with results scoring Fair to Excellent (certified or prelim'd),
- eyes CERF clear,
- OFA thyroid (with results normal and TGAA Negative)
- The bitch must also be up to date on DHPP vaccinations with rabies. Titers tests will only be accepted if done within 6 months prior to being bred and must be done on all DHPP, (not just for Parvo). Titers will not be accepted in lieu of Rabies vaccination, but a 3 year Rabies vaccination certificate will be accepted
- The bitch must be free from any external parasites, and communicable diseases.
Stud Service available:
- All bitches coming to us for breeding will be bred via AI with fresh collected.
- Progesterone testing is also available by a qualified veterinarian at an extra cost per test, if requested. We recommend this so that everyone can rest assured that the bitch was bred at the optimum time of ovulation.
- We offer fresh chilled semen on these boys to the fancy. This is a wonderful cost efficient, stress free option to shipping your bitch.
Step One: Please contact us on your bitch's first day of season or as soon as possible to book space and make plans for her stay.
Step Two: Bitches can be shipped to Toronto International Airports. A $50 gas/transportation fee will be charged on incoming bitches that need picked up or dropped off at the airport (because it is 2 hours each way from our home to the airport). All incoming girls will be kept in our home and we will provide them YOUR own food (please send it attached to the crate). If we have to purchase more food for your bitch during her stay here, you will be responsible for reimbursing us for that cost. Extra food will be returned to the bitch's owner by attaching it to the crate.
Step Three: We will notify you when the bitch is done standing for the male and breedings have been completed. Arrangements should then be made to either collect the bitch or have her shipped home.
Boarding will not be charged on visiting bitches while being bred. Any bitches left for more than 3 days after notification of last breeding will incur a $10 a day boarding fee.
We are very proud of our stud dogs and feel these dogs adhere to the breed standard. They have also proven themselves as producers with bitches of various lines with great success. Our boys' semen is checked regularly to ensure viable strong swimmers.